Pages

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

One of my favorite quotes..

“For Attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
 For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
 For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
 For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
 For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
 People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
 As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands,
one for helping yourself and the other for helping others.”  


Sometimes, I think to myself 'what am I living for? What's the real purpose in life?' Going back to my Heavenly father of course is the main purpose here but in the process of achieving that goal - what do I need to do? It's too easy to focus our thoughts on the things of the world and we sometimes miss out on what's going on around us. Until recently, service meant very oblique to me. It was something that I wanted to do in the future, after I quit my job and when I didn't have so many things on hand or when I had the money or the time to do it.
I was never really poor and I never had to starve because I didn't have money or worry about how I'm going to live tomorrow because I just spent my last dollar on feeding my kids so I don't know what being poor feels like. Here, where I work we have a lot of people who have to go through these struggles everyday and I think to myself, what am I doing here? Have I done any good today? Have I tried to help them in ANY way? Am I too focused on the big opportunities that will make me feel like I have achieved something good in the future and neglecting the little things I can do to serve others today? I believe that the happiest people are the ones who give up themselves to serve others. I hope that's the kind of person I will become and what I will focus on devoting my life to for the rest of my time on this earth, starting with the very little things I can do NOW and TODAY.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment